[Logo]
 
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Nice server, fun mod, but...  XML
Forum Index -> UT2004 DisastrousConsequences.com Go to Page: Previous  1, 2
Author Message
TheDruidXpawX

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 12/19/2004 18:32:13
Messages: 1945
Offline

FYI, I like the mid-sized maps more than anything smaller.

Raising the map cycle count to 100 is an interesting proposition. I'll take it under advisement.

Please be cosiderate when posting what is very close to a flame. Your suggestion about raising the vote count could have been done on a single line, but your post is almost a page long...

Skin download: http://www.disastrousconsequences.com/dcforum/posts/list/1189.page

The fundamental problem is this: The first word we learn as children is NO. From that point forward society teaches women that saying no isn't polite, and society teaches men to respect those who wont take no for an answer.

The world is what you make of it, my friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations. -- Stella, The Morning Star
Mac_Knife

Rampage
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/25/2005 21:31:29
Messages: 141
Offline

I prefer small maps because of my aggressive playing style, but however ill play any map happily, whether it be a small DM map or a large ONS map. 95% of the time i never actually vote for a map and just let others vote and play whatever comes up.
As for dying early, lol that happens to everybody when thier low level. When i was level 30 or below, i was averaging a score of around 300 per map (and thats when i would play for the entire duration of the map). When we played ut2003 inv (which druid/shan regrettably took away ), it was even worse as at waves 20+, i would die near the start without scoring even a single point regularly, however i still enjoyed playing it. I guess im just fairly patient.

My skin: http://skincity.beyondunreal.com/?section=skins&action=show_infos&id=1980
Hobo_Joe

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 06/12/2005 20:15:17
Messages: 513
Location: Utah
Offline

I personally like most maps. I'm not big on the Onslaught maps but I don't mind them either. I remember when I first started playing I died about 4 seconds after I spawned. Just gotta keep pluggin' away.

As for the server...this is the ONLY one me and Boingo play on...It's the bestest server EVER! keep it up!

A wise monkey is a monkey who doesn't monkey with another monkey's monkey.

The only time I made a mistake is when I thought I made a mistake.

After partying all night Chuck Norris doesn't throw up; Chuck throws down!

Loaded Weapons: [WMD]Hobo_Joe lvl: 389
Medic: Hobo_Healer lvl: 101
Loaded Artifact: LA_Hobo lvl:71
Engineer: enJOEneer lvl:110
No-Class: the_hobonator lvl:54
Monster Master: Summoner_Joe lvl:42
320

Wicked Sick!

Joined: 10/11/2005 21:28:38
Messages: 605
Offline

I can understand your frustration. When I was around level 30 I used to get really frustrated with loaded weapons players and their mines. Pets, too (back when Monster Tongue players could have 5 and all that). I'd see something on the radar and before I could even spin around and shoot it, it would already be dead.

The fact is, you just to have to hustle. I learned early on that when I died and respawned with nothing I would instantly switch to the shield gun and go looking for a decent weapon. I learned to allocate my points in such a way to match my play style (health/vamp/wep speed/dmg bonus) since I play aggresively.

Eventually, things are starting to come together. I've invested in the skills and attributes to keep me alive. I know the maps fairly well now (makes a big difference). I know how to fight the different types of monsters. etc.

The coolest thing about this version of UT is that it has quite a bit of depth and you can look back in retrospect and see how all the little things you did up till now have made such a difference in your game.

Here's a few tips:

1. Download the maps/map packs. As a n00b, your best chances are in the early rounds and if you miss the first couple rounds because you're downloading the map, well...

2. On higher levels, hang out in areas with other players. EXP is based on damage, not on whether you kill the monster. Shoot at what they are shooting and even if you don't get the kill, you'll get part of the EXP. In addition, if you feel outmatched by a titan, warlord, etc., get a few shots in at a safe distance and then haul outta there.

3. Learn to use the radar and always be moving (even if it's just within a small local area - you lower the chances of getting mugged by a nali).

4. Learn to use the translocator.

5. LEARN to use the translocator.

6. You need to have a basic famliarity with the maps. That's just the way it is. It only comes through experience.

7. At low levels and on those tight maps, the shield gun is your friend. People don't realize how lethal it is. It goes through the bad guys like butter and disrupts their attacks. In other words, you hit a brute but he doesn't die instantly, he gets knocked a little and you get a second attack for free, and a third, etc. All at point blank range. A low level player that learns to effectively use the tripple damage in combination with a shield gun can be incredibly lethal. I won't kid you - it takes practice and probably a level or two of vamp, but I did it for about 20 levels and had a lot of fun.





Chyster

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 02/08/2005 20:26:37
Messages: 573
Location: Victoria, TX
Offline

LtWarHound

First of all, the two owners have fairness at the top of their list and though it is from their own perspective, I can assure you it is well rounded. They take crap from folks in the name of fairness even when they don't agree with it.

Though some consider your comments borderline flames, I consider them flames outright. You didn't just flame the server and its owners but also an entire group of people who have been playing here for a very, very long time. You should definately find a better way to describe your greivances than to outright slap folks in the face.

Before your short time with us, when this server had UT2K3 stuff on it, I lay face down in the mud for months trying to get a high enough level to stay alive longer too. This Uber Group you are smashing started out at level 5 just like you did. But think outside the box and consider how they got uber, a lot of time laying face down in the mud or fused into a wall after having the snot slapped out of them by a Titan. Instead of complaining, use the dead time to lurk. You can learn a lot from a group of really nice people such as short cuts, strategies, and methods of game play that will extend your life in any map. Also, you can learn what modes of conduct are acceptable and those that are not.

As for the topic at hand, I agree that small maps are tough, require more skill and tax ones nerves. Folks stacked in like firewood, flack rebounding off of walls killing ya, missing monsters cause somebody runs in front of your shot, or worse, your redeemer. But of all the maps I dislike the most, it is ONS maps. My stats on the time these maps consume is more like an average of 65 to 70 minutes per map when the server is full. The longest being over an hour and a half. Also, the game experience, for me anyway, is slow and boring. I don't like them, but I either play them or go do something else.

The best advise I've seen so far for low level players is to learn to use your teleporter and become one with your shield gun. IMO, the best weapon in a small map for any level player is a +3 or better Sturdy Shield gun. Ya might get hit by a Skaarj fuzzball, but instead of being knocked across the room, the Sturdy will hold you in place and you'll tag him before he gets another one off.

With that being said, I would like to point out that there are a myriad of other servers out there that may accomodate your needs. But you won't find one that's better than this one with better people to play with.

Regards,
Chyster

If at first you don't friccasee, fry, fry a hen.
[Email] aim icon [ICQ]
JamesIX

Killing Spree

Joined: 03/13/2005 13:49:56
Messages: 42
Offline


Well I don't know if he even gave any suggestions but one might be to cut the number of players allowed from 20 to 14 or 15. The 1 on 1 maps like Squadder with 20 people it's like good look trying to kill anything. I like the small maps as well as many other higher level players becuase they're more challenging in the last waves. The bigger ones for the most part are in walk in the park when your a higher level. I find the game WAY more fun with 15 or less people so that's my suggestion.

Yea I agree with Chyster for the most part though. it's like your post are I can't level fast becuase I'm low level. :Whine:: So we should do bigger maps so I can level faster

Well we all had to go through the same thing, no offense but I don't think you should really get any special treatment. Level up slowly like all the rest of us. So in other words, tough cookies. You don't like small maps. Don't play em.

JamesIX






"I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won't wish the wish you wish to wish"
TheDruidXpawX

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 12/19/2004 18:32:13
Messages: 1945
Offline

Chy, I'd give you a level for the rest of your post if I didn't think the masses would have a canary. Thanks.

Chyster wrote:

As for the topic at hand, I agree that small maps are tough, require more skill and tax ones nerves. 


When we have 20 players on a small map, my impression is that they're way-way easier. People mow through the monsters before they can do anything to harm anyone.

That's why a lot of the really small 1-on-1 maps have vanished in a haze.

If there are more maps that fit this criteria, we have a forum in which to express map specific issues and concerns.

If anyone clearly expresses an issue with a given map, and (potentially) gets a contributor or two on board, we'll usually take action and delete the map.

My view on this is obviously very biased though, so I don't nominate small maps for deletion unless they're ragingly obvious that they don't work, or that they're too exploitable... Otherwise there wouldn't be any small maps at all.

Dru

Skin download: http://www.disastrousconsequences.com/dcforum/posts/list/1189.page

The fundamental problem is this: The first word we learn as children is NO. From that point forward society teaches women that saying no isn't polite, and society teaches men to respect those who wont take no for an answer.

The world is what you make of it, my friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations. -- Stella, The Morning Star
TheDruidXpawX

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 12/19/2004 18:32:13
Messages: 1945
Offline

JamesIX wrote:
Well I don't know if he even gave any suggestions but one might be to cut the number of players allowed from 20 to 14 or 15. The 1 on 1 maps like Squadder with 20 people it's like good look trying to kill anything. 


Alternatively, don't vote for a 1-on-1 map when there's 20 people on. It pretty much astounds me every time these maps win.

I dont want to cut the player count just to facilitate a few bad maps. I'd prefer either the players vote smarter, or we delete the obviously bad-bad maps

Skin download: http://www.disastrousconsequences.com/dcforum/posts/list/1189.page

The fundamental problem is this: The first word we learn as children is NO. From that point forward society teaches women that saying no isn't polite, and society teaches men to respect those who wont take no for an answer.

The world is what you make of it, my friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations. -- Stella, The Morning Star
Chyster

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 02/08/2005 20:26:37
Messages: 573
Location: Victoria, TX
Offline

"Huh, what level?"

............see I'm practicing already.






If at first you don't friccasee, fry, fry a hen.
[Email] aim icon [ICQ]
TheDruidXpawX

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 12/19/2004 18:32:13
Messages: 1945
Offline

Chyster wrote:
I just felt that somebody unencumbered by ownership had to champion those that are. I did edit it a bit 'cause I sounded ........... er............... kinda crisp there. But, the jist of it still remains. 


I suppose someone needs to champion them. I hate em

They're very popular though, so I dont fight em. I just dont vote for em.

Chyster wrote:
As for the level, I won't tell........................ 


Skin download: http://www.disastrousconsequences.com/dcforum/posts/list/1189.page

The fundamental problem is this: The first word we learn as children is NO. From that point forward society teaches women that saying no isn't polite, and society teaches men to respect those who wont take no for an answer.

The world is what you make of it, my friend. If it doesn't fit, you make alterations. -- Stella, The Morning Star
320

Wicked Sick!

Joined: 10/11/2005 21:28:38
Messages: 605
Offline

TheDruidXpawX wrote:
Chy, I'd give you a level for the rest of your post if I didn't think the masses would have a canary. Thanks.

Chyster wrote:

As for the topic at hand, I agree that small maps are tough, require more skill and tax ones nerves. 


When we have 20 players on a small map, my impression is that they're way-way easier. People mow through the monsters before they can do anything to harm anyone.


Dru 


I think there's two challenges in the game, particularly for higher level players. First is survival, second is racking up a lot of kills.

On the really small maps, like dismemberment (one of my faves), you can get swarmed in seconds. You have to be ready for anything at any moment. That one is not usually winnable unless some sort of team strategy is at play, like linking up or holding up in a certain hall.

On the semi-small maps, like Space Lego, we are obviously competing for kills and a victory is likely in the end. In those, I try to figure the most efficient and fast way to kill stuff. I place my mines where I believe monsters are likely to be and then cover another area not too far away. In that way I increase my overall coverage area. If I place my mines wrong, I waste time a) placing them, and b) checking up on them to see if I need to fire more. Thus, I'm not firing my flak at some other monster, potentially losing points if I don't execute my strategy correctly. I only point this out because some players think the mines are just "no skill/free kill".

Also, I figured out a way to compete with other players when playing without a triple. On those tight maps where queens/titans/warlord go down in just moments, every little thing I can do to hasten the kill helps.

My point is that even on the small maps there's an "angle" to play and a strategy, not just random shooting.
emetakleze

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/02/2005 18:15:15
Messages: 1241
Location: north east, ny.
Offline

Chyster wrote:
LtWarHound

First of all, the two owners have fairness at the top of their list and though it is from their own perspective, I can assure you it is well rounded. They take crap from folks in the name of fairness even when they don't agree with it.

Though some consider your comments borderline flames, I consider them flames outright. You didn't just flame the server and its owners but also an entire group of people who have been playing here for a very, very long time. You should definately find a better way to describe your greivances than to outright slap folks in the face.

Before your short time with us, when this server had UT2K3 stuff on it, I lay face down in the mud for months trying to get a high enough level to stay alive longer too. This Uber Group you are smashing started out at level 5 just like you did. But think outside the box and consider how they got uber, a lot of time laying face down in the mud or fused into a wall after having the snot slapped out of them by a Titan. Instead of complaining, use the dead time to lurk. You can learn a lot from a group of really nice people such as short cuts, strategies, and methods of game play that will extend your life in any map. Also, you can learn what modes of conduct are acceptable and those that are not.

As for the topic at hand, I agree that small maps are tough, require more skill and tax ones nerves. Folks stacked in like firewood, flack rebounding off of walls killing ya, missing monsters cause somebody runs in front of your shot, or worse, your redeemer. But of all the maps I dislike the most, it is ONS maps. My stats on the time these maps consume is more like an average of 65 to 70 minutes per map when the server is full. The longest being over an hour and a half. Also, the game experience, for me anyway, is slow and boring. I don't like them, but I either play them or go do something else.

The best advise I've seen so far for low level players is to learn to use your teleporter and become one with your shield gun. IMO, the best weapon in a small map for any level player is a +3 or better Sturdy Shield gun. Ya might get hit by a Skaarj fuzzball, but instead of being knocked across the room, the Sturdy will hold you in place and you'll tag him before he gets another one off.

With that being said, I would like to point out that there are a myriad of other servers out there that may accomodate your needs. But you won't find one that's better than this one with better people to play with.

Regards,
Chyster 


Right on brother!

TherDruidXpawX wrote:
Chy, I'd give you a level for the rest of your post if I didn't think the masses would have a canary. Thanks.  


No canarys from me man, I say give 'im the 1up! (after all, it is christmas )

****"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."**** -Batty

****On a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?****

***Though I cannot corrupt that which is by nature already corrupt, I can and do change the nature of the corruption***

IM:atvnj at hotmail.com
[Email] [MSN]
 
Forum Index -> UT2004 DisastrousConsequences.com Go to Page: Previous  1, 2
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.7 © JForum Team