[Logo]
 
  [Search] Search   [Recent Topics] Recent Topics   [Members]  Member Listing   [Groups] Back to home page 
[Register] Register / 
[Login] Login 
Backing up UT2k4  XML
Forum Index -> UT2004 DisastrousConsequences.com
Author Message
FRAGaLOT

Killing Spree
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/23/2005 11:32:54
Messages: 32
Location: Kalee-forn-yah
Offline

I'm about to upgrade my PC real soon using the following goodies:

* Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego core) 1mb L2 cache, 90mn
* Abit AN8 Ultra motherboard
* XFX GeForce 6800 GS XXX Edition video card (PCI-E)

This means I'll have to rebuild my rig, and install a fresh copy of windows again. My question is what's the best way to "back up" my settings on UT2k4? I know my stats on the DC server are saved on the server, but I want to save my keyboard binding, skins, maps, etc my local stats for single player mode (so I don't have to go through all that training for the umpteenth time).

So anyone know what folders or individual files I should copy over into a backup? Or perhaps the game has an export function?

__ FRAGaLOT
[WWW] [Yahoo!]
320

Wicked Sick!

Joined: 10/11/2005 21:28:38
Messages: 605
Offline

If you want just the settings, you should backup your system folder. If you want the maps and all that, you should backup the entire UT2004 folder. It's huge, though. Mine is currently at around 9 gigs. With compression, it might squeeze onto a single DVD.

As far as restoring, I can think of two things happening. The prefered scenario is you just copy the directory back and the program runs fine.

If that doesn't work (some funky error comes up), it might be that the installer writes certain parameters to the registry (such as the CD Key). In that case, you'll have to reinstall UT from the original discs and then copy your backup files over the new installation.




FRAGaLOT wrote:
I'm about to upgrade my PC real soon using the following goodies:

* Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego core) 1mb L2 cache, 90mn
* Abit AN8 Ultra motherboard
* XFX GeForce 6800 GS XXX Edition video card (PCI-E)

This means I'll have to rebuild my rig, and install a fresh copy of windows again. My question is what's the best way to "back up" my settings on UT2k4? I know my stats on the DC server are saved on the server, but I want to save my keyboard binding, skins, maps, etc my local stats for single player mode (so I don't have to go through all that training for the umpteenth time).

So anyone know what folders or individual files I should copy over into a backup? Or perhaps the game has an export function? 
Spacey

Wicked Sick!
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/07/2005 21:28:14
Messages: 589
Location: Da'Burgh (Pittsburgh) PA
Offline

The bare minimum to backup is your User.ini and UT2004.ini. The former has your key bindings and such, while the latter has your CD key and favorite servers. Most of the other ini files are fluff where playing is concerned. As for restoring, get yourself a good ASCII editor (an editor like vi or emacs on a UN*X system is great for this), and after entering the game, selectively merge the old settings into the new file. (Emacs's ediff mode is great for this). In fact, my machine multi-boots XP and several versions of UN*X (NetBSD, FC3, FC4, QNX), and every time I boot NetBSD (most every night), I backup all my .ini files into my UN*X home directory.

As for the rest, you can either go for a fresh install, or just backup the rest of the directories individually or in their entirity.

BTW...sounds like you are going to have a very nice system! Drool!

FRAGaLOT wrote:
I'm about to upgrade my PC real soon using the following goodies:

* Athlon 64 3700+ (San Diego core) 1mb L2 cache, 90mn
* Abit AN8 Ultra motherboard
* XFX GeForce 6800 GS XXX Edition video card (PCI-E)

This means I'll have to rebuild my rig, and install a fresh copy of windows again. My question is what's the best way to "back up" my settings on UT2k4? I know my stats on the DC server are saved on the server, but I want to save my keyboard binding, skins, maps, etc my local stats for single player mode (so I don't have to go through all that training for the umpteenth time).

So anyone know what folders or individual files I should copy over into a backup? Or perhaps the game has an export function? 

*BEL*_e (spacey), BEL Clan General -- You Frag em, I'll Slag em!
LA -- *BEL*_e (level 283 - Extreme AM), LW -- *BEL*_o (level 26) MM - ?? ( *BEL*_Rolaids ?? *BEL*DrWho??, Engineer... *BEL*BS_E_E [BSEE '89, Ohio U] (level 22)

[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!] aim icon [MSN] [ICQ]
{NYA}ViCorp:S

Killing Spree

Joined: 08/21/2005 14:26:22
Messages: 30
Offline

Please don't bring up the specter of "backing up" UT folders. At 15.3 gigs, I really don't want to think about having to do that...
DaRedeye


[Avatar]

Joined: 03/22/2005 10:05:54
Messages: 29
Location: I'm using the Zero skin from the Nightdyne Strike Force pack.
Offline

Get a SATA hard drive to go with your fine system then use your old hard drive for storage and copy UT files back you freshly installed UT game.

I'm using the Zero skin from the Nightdyne Strike Force pack V1
http://www.ut2003hq.com/pafiledb2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=5301
[WWW]
FRAGaLOT

Killing Spree
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/23/2005 11:32:54
Messages: 32
Location: Kalee-forn-yah
Offline

DaRedeye wrote:
Get a SATA hard drive to go with your fine system then use your old hard drive for storage and copy UT files back you freshly installed UT game. 


That depends how well Xmas goes this year... Er.. um.. TOMMAROW!

I often get some Xmas scratch, so if I get enough I'll try to get a SATA hard drive, but that was way down my list on my budget.

However I already have two hard drive, plus an external 200g USB/FW drive, so backing up won't be difficult. Though I'd rather not back up the entire folder.

Merry Christmas folks!

__ FRAGaLOT
[WWW] [Yahoo!]
FRAGaLOT

Killing Spree
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/23/2005 11:32:54
Messages: 32
Location: Kalee-forn-yah
Offline

I just ordered my hardware. Yippie!! Probably be upgraded by next year.

__ FRAGaLOT
[WWW] [Yahoo!]
CWO



Joined: 01/01/2006 22:43:24
Messages: 1
Offline

Ya its awesome once you upgrade your comp. I upgraded mine and loved the fact that UT2004 ran with every setting set to highest about 3 times faster than my old computer running with everything on lowest.
FRAGaLOT

Killing Spree
[Avatar]

Joined: 01/23/2005 11:32:54
Messages: 32
Location: Kalee-forn-yah
Offline

CWO wrote:
Ya its awesome once you upgrade your comp. I upgraded mine and loved the fact that UT2004 ran with every setting set to highest about 3 times faster than my old computer running with everything on lowest. 

Yep I'll be getting my hardware tommarow! I'm also going to get a new SATA hard drive probably in the next week or so. Found a nice WD 400gb 16m cache drive for only $192!! (OEM) Hopefully by the time I scrape up enough cash in about a week it's still avalibe, or better yet find a cheaper one eslewhere. For now I'll just use the EIDE drives I'm already using.

__ FRAGaLOT
[WWW] [Yahoo!]
 
Forum Index -> UT2004 DisastrousConsequences.com
Go to:   
Powered by JForum 2.1.7 © JForum Team